Saturday, July 12, 2008

Week 9: Thing 20

I love YouTube but do not have much experience with other video sites. I usually don't spend too much time looking at videos but so many have been in the news since the site launched that it is hard to not look at some! I only watch two or three then get bored and move on. Anyway, with this weeks task to explore and the suggestion made in reference to 60's music videos I spent a lot of time watching Janis Joplin performances. My mom introduced me to her music a long time ago (probably when I was too young to really know what was happening) but something about her always stuck with me...maybe a bit rebellious...or the free spirit...

Anyway, the fact that we can now go back and watch things like this are amazing. It can be used to enhance history lessons books students are reading...this can really change the way students learn. A fun project would be to have them make a video about a topic they are studying and post it for all to see. Thinking more about this, I also spent time looking up videos with footage of previous Olympics and was able to find fascinating footage of Jesse Owens at the Berlin Olympics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXIe5GbLSUs. Overall, some great stuff that can enhance our student's (& our own) knowledge! It will be interesting to challenge myself to see how I can use this in my PE class.

2 comments:

Dashboard Diva said...

My suggestion is to ask your students to find ways to use YouTube in your P.E. class. Chances are they know just about everything that is on YouTube anyway!

This past school year I mentioned something in class one day, and one of my 4th graders piped up about how he had seen this video on YouTube that had to do with what we were discussing...and then another kid joined in...and another...you get the picture!

Lorna

Mary Ann said...

Another great "video" site to check out is TeacherTube. You can search what other P.E. teachers are posting.